The Wicker Park Group team has a track record of working successfully with hundreds of leading in-house and outside counsel. Our combined experience is the foundation for a vision that led to the creation of the Wicker Park Group: a niche consultancy focused on three areas.
The Wicker Park Group Team
- Heather is General Counsel and Director of Operations with the Wicker Park Group.
- Heather has extensive experience working in the legal services industries as a licensed attorney, bank officer and entrepreneur.
- She served as Vice President and Business Development Officer for their Trust Department at AmSouth Bank (now Regions Bank), where she was involved in the department's business growth strategy. Additionally, her experience included bringing new trust, estate or asset management clients into the bank. In this role, she worked in partnership across multiple business units on collaborative initiatives with trust administrators, portfolio managers, outside attorneys and accountants to implement specific estate or asset management plans for new trust customers.
- She received further training at Cannon Financial Institute's Trust School and the Alabama Banker's Association Southern Trust School. She has also served on the Estate Planning Council of Mobile.
- Heather's background also includes several years of experience with American Legal Search, a legal recruiting and consulting firm, named by Inc. Magazine as one of America's Fastest Growing private companies.
- A University of Alabama School of Law graduate, she is a member of the Alabama State Bar, the Association of Corporate Counsel where she serves on the 2012-2013 board in Birmingham, AL, the Junior League of Birmingham and the Junior Women's Committee of 100. She is an active member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church and is engaged in numerous community activities.
- Nancy is a Senior Consultant and Client Growth Specialist with the Wicker Park Group.
- As a former practicing lawyer with extensive experience in law firm client relations, Nancy is passionate about helping lawyers develop their client service and business development skills. Nancy helps firms with customized attorney training programs in client-focused business skills such as:
- Advanced client communications
- Project management and managing expectations
- Billing, budgeting and value management
- Leading teams
- Differentiated and client-focused business development
- Nancy assists clients in facilitating client, industry and practice group planning sessions. She also helps clients develop strategies to implement client feedback and grow client relationships.
- Nancy is accredited in use of the Emotional and Social Competency Inventory (ESCI), the leadership development assessment created by Daniel Goleman, PhD, Richard Boyatzis, PhD and the Hay Group, and used by leading corporations throughout the world.
- Nancy also shares the techniques she has developed in working with lawyers to help marketing, business development and practice management professionals develop their skills in facilitating attorney groups and driving business development. She also provides "train-the-trainer" services and curriculum development for attorney development professionals in law firms.
- As a former client relations director for top firms such as Baker Botts, and as a former instructor with the WJF Institute, Nancy has trained several thousand attorneys to help them perfect their business development and client service skills. She also facilitated Client Team Planning Sessions and planning sessions for practice and industry groups.
- Nancy is a former practicing lawyer with an extensive pre-law background in marketing and corporate communications. She served in various marketing and corporate relations roles for publicly and privately held organizations. Her work included marketing communications functions as well as employee, shareholder and media relations regarding financial results, product lines and corporate acquisitions.
- She is a frequent speaker at marketing partner and managing partner conferences, and legal business development conferences.
Laura A. Meherg
- Laura is a founder and partner in the Wicker Park Group.
- The Elite Excellence in Legal Marketing Awards named her 2004 Marketing Director of the Year. This award followed her development of a leading client feedback program for her firm, Burr & Forman, which produced measurable results, won universal praise from the leadership of her firm, and became a benchmark in the industry. She has conducted hundreds of interviews over the past 10 years. Laura remained as director of client services and marketing at Burr & Forman from 1998 to 2005. At the firm, Laura’s responsibilities covered every aspect of marketing and training.
- After leaving Burr & Forman in 2005, Laura founded Meherg Consulting, which later became part of the Wicker Park Group. She regularly works with GC and facilitates GC roundtables for Martindale-Hubbell’s Counsel-to-Counsel Forum series and other in-house counsel programs. She is a frequent speaker at legal marketing educational programs.
- She served on the 2011-2012 board of directors of the Legal Marketing Association as Secretary (she previously served on the International Board from 2003-2005). She is the past Chairman of the Board for Kid One Transport Systems of Alabama and volunteers with Girls Inc.
Lindsay W. Murray
- Lindsay Murray is Client Relations Coordinator for the Wicker Park Group.
- She most recently was the Development Coordinator of Birmingham, Alabama-based Kid One Transport, a charitable organization that provides transportation to children and expectant mothers to non-emergency medical care. At Kid One, she planned and managed all fundraising events, including fundraising campaigns and managed volunteers.
- Prior to Kid One, she served as a Development Specialist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, where she oversaw cultivation events for donors and alumni/ae of the School of Business. She also managed an award-winning, comprehensive marketing campaign with special emphasis on internal marketing.
- In her free time, Lindsay serves on the Junior Board of Cornerstone Schools of Alabama. She is also a member of the Junior League of Birmingham, through which she volunteers her time with Girls Inc.
- Thames Schoenvogel is a Senior Writer and Editor with the Wicker Park Group.
- She most recently served as Associate Editor at Time Inc. Content Solutions, Time’s custom publishing division, overseeing the publication of multiple magazines across a range of topics. Her responsibilities included editing content, acting as a primary client contact and overseeing production schedules.
- Prior to joining Time Inc., Thames was a reporter with SNL Financial, a news and analytics company. She covered the banking and insurance industries. Thames has also worked in editorial and marketing capacities at House Beautiful magazine and Southern Living magazine.
Nathaniel E. Slavin
- Nat is a founder and partner in the Wicker Park Group.
- He is the former publisher of InsideCounsel (Corporate Legal Times), the management monthly for corporate legal executives, as well as a series of specialty publications. His monthly column, Interactions, explored the issues that challenge legal departments and their law firms and businesses advisors. In 2005 he led the sale of Corporate Legal Times LLC to a New York based private-equity sponsored publishing company. He remained executive vice president and publisher, and a member of the senior management team at Wicks Business Information until his 2006 departure. In 2007, he formed the Wicker Park Group.
- He was also co-founder and publisher of Business Without Borders. He is the author of more than 100 articles on legal department management and frequently speaks on legal department management and marketing strategies. He regularly works with law firm leadership to advise on marketplace trends, consults with corporate legal departments and is intimately involved in the creation of innovative brand initiatives for a variety of consultancies, technology companies and law firms. Previously he was founding editor and publisher of U.S. Business Litigation. From 1992-2006 he held a variety of editorial and management positions at Corporate Legal Times LLC and its predecessor company Giant Steps Media.
- He was the 2007 President of the International Board of Directors of the Legal Marketing Association and was first elected to the Board in 2003. He is also on the Board of Directors of Across the Table, Open Books and on the Board of Advisors for Shift Worldwide. He has been to 49 states and visited almost as many countries. He briefly taught bilingual/bicultural English and History in Southern California.
Tara M. Weintritt
- Tara is a partner in the Wicker Park Group.
- Tara joined the Wicker Park Group after serving as the Chief Marketing Officer and Director of Client Relations for Miles & Stockbridge from 2002-2012. During her tenure at Miles & Stockbridge, she conducted over 100 client feedback interviews with General Counsel and clients on behalf of the firm. A member of the firm’s six person senior executive team and participant on the board of directors, she implemented and led numerous initiatives including a client satisfaction program, client and industry teams, client service training, client visit program, business development training, individual attorney coaching, three rebranding campaigns and a communication strategy plan during the economic down turn. Tara’s greatest achievements may be behind the scenes, serving as a strategic advisor to the Chairman and Senior Leadership, she is known for her executive coaching and strategic leadership for change. A key member of the strategic planning committee, she led the industry and client focus initiative, and serves in an operational and leadership role for lateral and firm growth initiatives.
- In 2007, she was named “Marketing Director of the Year” by The Elite Excellence in Legal Marketing Awards. Nominated by her Chairman and Senior Management, Tara won for “creating and leading organization change focused on client satisfaction and service”.
- Prior to joining Miles & Stockbridge, she served as an account executive and media consultant for Greenfield/Belser. She led numerous strategic and branding campaigns for global, international, national and regional law firms and professional service organizations.
- She is the co-chair of the 2013 International Legal Marketing Association Conference and served on the Capital (Washington, DC) Legal Marketing Association Board of Directors from 2010-2012. She is a frequent speaker at legal marketing, business development and leadership conferences and programs.